Wednesday, January 23, 2008

5 Types of Books that Increase Intelligence

Fortunately, after John Wesley posted 10 Ways to Improve Your Mind by Reading the Classics, he soon followed up with a list of genres to read to increase intelligence. In his post 5 Types of Books that Increase Intelligence, he describes in detail how reading Science, Philosophy, Serious Fiction, and Poetry increases our brain power. Most of the classics in these fields can either be acquired very inexpensively or downloaded free. Of course, as always there is your local library.

Below is a list of some of my favorite classics.
What are some of your favorite classics? Send us a comment with a list of titles and share your classic finds with others.

R. Philip Reynolds
preynolds@sfasu.edu
rm. 202b
936.468.1453
Subjects - Computer Science, Military Science, Philosophy/Religion, Political Science/Geography

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will said...

I don't read many classics. Mostly its history, biography and politics. I suppose it would do me good to branch out. If I want to be entertained I'll watch a movie, TV or play a computer game. I feel like I should be getting something more out of a book than idle entertainment.

The other blog makes a good point about improving your reading style by reading well written books. I internalize writing styles very quickly and easily. I notice my blog writing change depending on what I'm reading at the time. It's always an improvement to some level but sometimes I notice my writing get stale if I'm reading something with the usual boring academic style. And I notice my writing improve when I'm reading something more creatively written. I'm not reading anything right now and I don't think its helping my blog.

My favorite classics that come to mind:
Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

The Kingdom of God is Within You - Leo Tolstoy

Tao Teh Ching - Lao Tzu

Johnny Got his Gun - Dalton Trubmo

I don't know if you would call A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn a classic but I think it is within the genre.

I do have some unfinished Noam Chomsky sitting on my shelf but I suspect Ambrose Bierce would make my blog more interesting.
February 13, 2008 1:58 AM

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

I don't know if they are considered classics, but some of my favorite authors are: Anne Tyler, Willa Cather, and Laura Ingalls Wilder. In fact, I like many of the young adult writers, and I would sometimes rather read a young adult novel. One classic young adult novel that I will recommend is Little Women!
March 5, 2008 1:54 PM